Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Prine

The only CV death that's hurt me personally...
so far.
CV-19,
I mean.

Never met him, but caught his act
twice
so long ago I couldn't swear
to either venue.
So long ago...

So young we were.
Tom Laughlin with a guitar
was my impression of him then
with a rusty voice, and a heart
big as a
Billy Jack kick.

Illegal Smile made us smile
back then
and does right now
but now with tears.

Hello In There
reached into me
got inside of me
young as we were
back
then.

He lit a fire with one
so hot and bright,
yet the title didn't stick
until just the other year,

but the chorus burned onto my hard drive
Godamighty yes!
We can only hope now
it's not too late:

"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper
Go to the country, build you a home
Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
Try 'n find Jesus on your own."

Yeah. Even now
We can only hope
it's not too late--

Hell, it's never too late!

                                                                                                             m.d. paust

No comments:

Post a Comment